Saturday, January 29, 2011

Journey


I am moving to Chicago. The first 25 years of my life have been spent almost entirely in my hometown in West Virginia. It has four perfectly balanced seasons, beautiful forested countryside, and all the pickup trucks you could ever want. Mine's red. It's mostly peaceful and I love it here, and I really couldn't have asked for a better place to grow up. It's just too damn small.

West Virginia lacks severely in two things that I need to thrive: frequent theatrical opportunities and a bustling gay culture. All I need is a foothold somewhere with access to these two vital resources. The dice have fallen on Chicago. Tomorrow I depart on a new adventure, one that's only limited by how awesome I am. I've packed my crafting tools and charisma, but honestly I wish had better armor.


Luckily, I will not be entirely without allies in the big city. Two of my friends independently migrated to Chicago in the recent past. One is an Electronica DJ and musician, and the other is a Norse puppeteer. And I'm a tranny who makes costumes and cobbles shoes. Come on, how could this not be interesting?


Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world.

No comments:

Post a Comment